FY 2005-2006 STRATEGIC PLAN
INCREASE VALUE OF MEMBERSHIP
Encourage Business Relationships Among Members
- Formally evaluate the new Ambassador's Program, determine its efficacy on membership recruitment and retention. Consider expansion possibilities. (Membership Development)
- Begin to develop “Business-to-Business” and “Business-to-Consumer” pre-qualified networking events program.
- Focus efforts of Vice President of Marketing and Communication to assist staff and VPs in promoting to membership two aspects of Chamber networking events (to be determined)
- Implement crab feast/music event to be held late summer 2005
- Monitor and formally evaluate on-going Member-To-Member Benefit Program (Membership Development)
Increase/Retain Membership - Membership Development
- Increase membership by 10% in 2005-06, and specifically market to and recruit new members from areas other than Bethesda CBD.
- Implement Trade Association membership subcommittee and recruit additional such organizations
- Retain 81% of 2004-5 membership
- Focus on retention, develop Board outreach program that ensures quality interaction between active members and new members
- Continue bi-annual contact with top-dues paying members (with Exec. Comm.)
Evaluate Membership Communications and Services
- Throughout the year, conduct monthly, online membership surveys on single-issue (Strategic Planning and Marketing & Communications Committees)
- Compile list of names and reasons of those businesses solicited who will not join, for further review and analysis by Membership Development
- Implement development of updated website pursuant to RFP being prepared 2004-05
ADVOCATE FOR & UNITE BUSINESS THROUGH PROMOTIONOF A QUALITY BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT
Exercise Pro-Active Leadership on Key Issues Facing each Region served by Chamber Economic Development Committee
- Bethesda CBD:
- Work with county on transition to Stage II
- Continue to support and work with BUP and via Woodmont Triangle Advocacy Committee on key Woodmont Triangle issues
- Lobby for Inner Purple Line and other transit initiatives
- Chevy Chase / Friendship Heights / Westbard:
- Meet with developers, new business owners and established organizations to inventory needs and issues; monitor Friendship Heights Task Force and the Transportation Management District (FHTMD) activities; monitor Westbard Sector Plan process.
- North Bethesda / Rockville Pike:
- Serve as liaison with new developments, monitor progress of new Parking Lot District (PLD); support efforts for a North Bethesda Urban District; start working with M-NCPPC staff on White Flint Sector Plan.
- Rockspring Park / Montgomery Mall / Old G’town & Democracy:
- Meet with developers, business owners and established organizations to inventory needs and issues
Advocate for Business - Economic Development Committee
- During upcoming election year, continue to monitor legislative issues important to the Chamber and work closely to ensure that candidates are aware of Chamber priorities and issues
- Begin program that identifies those members whose primary reason for joining the Chamber is advocacy; solicit needs/goals from members on that list, work to get them more involved and show them Chamber is responsive to their issues. (Member Services & M&C Committees)
Expand Role as Business Liaison with Community - Community Development Committee
- Develop relationship with one new/existing community organization and make them recipient of funds from one event while maintaining existing non-profit relationships.
- Continue building relationship with member high schools and Junior Achievement in the Annual Career Partnership Day program, and investigate the development of a new scholarship program.
STRENGTHEN ORGANIZATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
Develop Board and Committee Leadership - Executive Committee
- Conduct follow up meetings with members who expressed desire for leadership role in prior surveys
- Implement briefs of committee achievements and goals in Newsletter and/or website; each committee and subcommittee chair to provide monthly for inclusion. Work in conjunction with website development.
Focus on Chamber's Public Relations - Communications & PR Committee
- Install the new Chamber welcome signs
- Consider monthly program to honor one member who has taken a leadership role within the Chamber and publicize accordingly (M&C, Exec. Committee)
- Expand Community Service Day activity into a networking opportunity (Community Dev.)
- Increase visibility of Chamber in television and print media
- Police/Fire/Rescue Awards program to receive increased publicity (Community Dev. with Communications & PR Committees)
- Member leaders/spokespersons to author, be highlighted or interviewed through local TV, radio and op-ed pieces (e.g. Post, WBJ, Gazette)
- Chair to participate in 4 television interviews (Comcast)
Evaluate Internal Operations and Efficiency - Executive Committee and Strategic Planning Committee
- Balanced Budget for 2005-2006
- Have 2004-05 Financial Statement audited
- Evaluate Chamber re-staffing and management goals
Back to top